inspiring outstanding leaders

Wanted: Outstanding relationship builders with stamina and humanity

In Uncategorized on 2 November 2009 at 10:14 pm

Would being a head teacher appeal to you if stamina, humanity and relationship building were the top required characteristics?

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have difficulty sitting still long enough to read a book, let alone 77 pages in one day. However this is exactly what I did today. Admittedly I have the worst sore throat on record and I was snuggled into bed for most of the school day, but I am still impressed with my achievement!

Thanks to an article on page 4 of SecEd this week, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the National College for School Leadership (NCSL) book of inspirational leaders entitled Turning Heads – it’s free to download and you don’t even need to put in your e-mail address!

I am about to start coaching an enthusiastic new head teacher with some ambitious plans for the next 12 months which I am relishing the opportunity of supporting him to achieve. This head teacher is the inspiration for the pages I have highlighted below:

Kevin Harcombe on page 23 quotes Sir John Jones, a highly successful leader:

‘80% of education is about relationships. The other 20% is about relationships.’

Pg 29 states

"The National College for School Leadership identifies the following theoretical styles of leadership: coercive, authoritative, affiliative, democratic, pacesetting and coaching."

I am going to do some more research into these styles, but I wonder which style/s you use and whether there is a style you feel is most effective for your school?

I am passionate about personal development for teachers and the quote on the bottom of page 57 resonates with me:

"He [Dennis Richards OBE] also wants them [students] to grow up to love thy neighbour as thyself – and to realise there is no point in doing that if you don’t feel great about yourself in the first place."

Every teacher has a right to feel great about themselves first and foremost and when they are feeling great they can then devote themselves to focusing on their students, their staff and their school.

There is no doubt that this country needs more teachers deciding to be Headteachers and, for me, this book is an essential and inspiring read for anyone who has ever thought about headship, or assisting in school leadership, even if they have dismissed the thought in the past.

I’d love to know what you think.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: